Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Soup Month

One more January post for the year.  The other day, I went to a science center and had a blast.  Of course, by the time I got home, it was way past dark and I was hungry.  Since it had gotten chilly as soon as the sun set and I wanted something easy to eat, I grabbed a box of Pacific-brand soup.  Prior to this soup, I had never had any Pacific-brand product other than their soy milk, so I wasn't really sure what to expect.  But since I had just done a clean out of my emergency supplies and needed to restock my emergency food supplies, I fell prey to the marketing tactic of "Hey, a coupon for a product that's on sale!  I think I'll buy it!"  So I bought two of the minestrone with chicken meatballs since it was the only one the store had, thinking I would try one and if I liked it, I could come back and buy more for my emergency supplies.  (Having food you like or at least don't dislike during an emergency is a nice thing since circumstances are going to be rough anyways.)  I've normally buy boxed soups because I prefer to avoid canned foods, but the boxed soups I normally buy have pour spouts and require refrigeration after opening.  I was interested in these soups since they're single-serving and shelf stable.

 I was feeling particularly lazy and wanted my food right away, so I opted to heat it in the microwave.  I ended up microwaving it for twice the amount of time listed on the box.  It was thicker than I expected and something about the flavor kept throwing me off.  Maybe it was the sodium content - I don't typically eat processed foods and I don't add table salt to most of my foods.  (I horrified my best friend once when she visited me in my old, super-tiny studio apartment.  She asked for salt for her eggs and I had to reply that I had none.  I couldn't bake in that place, so I didn't even have any for baking.)

The soup was edible.  Nothing exciting, but not horrible either.  I'm perfectly okay with adding this soup to my emergency food supplies, but I think I'll have to try some of the other flavors.

If you're interested in trying this soup, Pacific Foods is offering coupons here.  Also, the current issue of Whole Food's Whole Deals has a coupon for $1 off two.



(The top right picture of the soup is more true to color, but came out blurry, so here's a sharper photo.)

No comments:

Post a Comment