Wednesday, February 8, 2012

February 8: Molasses Bar Day

It's National Molasses Bar Day!  PunchBowl.com has a nice little blurb about the day and the food.  Judi Leaming over at Herkimer Telegram does a good job of researching the day, too.  And so does CNN's Eatocracy.  Le sigh.  I really don't have more info to add to those sites - molasses bars are another food I haven't eaten.  I can't seem to find many recipes for molasses bars that are well-rated, but The Kitchen Magpie has a recipe that looks really tasty.  Just make note that that's a large recipe.

Molasses was never a big ingredient in anything in my household. If you grow up in a household eating mostly Asian food, you don't really get a whole lot of exposure to molasses.  I always thought molasses was like syrup and that it came from trees.  Boy, was I wrong!  Molasses comes from cane or beet sugar.  (Thanks, Wise Geek!) But in my quest to look up information about molasses bars and molasses, I learned something very interesting indeed: molasses can be dangerous and can destroy whole cities like Godzilla!  Okay, maybe not in this day and age, but in 1919, molasses destroyed part of Boston.  This event was called the Molasses Disaster.

While that sounds like something I might make in my kitchen, "Molasses Disaster" would make a great band name.

Ok, maybe just a song title.

No comments:

Post a Comment