Friday, January 13, 2012

January 13: Peach Melba Day

Maintaining this blog has been educational.  It makes me learn about foods I've never been exposed to or have never tried.  Today is a great example of that.  Until today, I've only heard of peach melbas but I didn't know what they were.  A quick internet search teaches me that peach melbas are peaches, raspberry sauce, and ice cream.  I also learned that peach melbas are named after opera singer, Nellie Melba, and that there is a whole bunch of foods named after people.  I didn't realize so many foods names after people existed and I've never heard of a majority of these foods.  Maybe that could be a side project one day - reading the biographies of people who have food named in honor of them.

Peach melbas sound easy to make and maybe one day I'll make one.  Again, though, I am confused: why this food on this day?  Oh, I understand that marketers get involved, but why on earth a day in January for a food that features traditionally summer food?  Peaches and raspberries are summer foods for me and I'm sitting here with an electric blanket- cold foods like ice cream are so not on my must eat list right now.  Maybe it's the longing for summer that pushes us to have food holidays that feature summer foods in winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment