Tuesday, January 17, 2012

January 17: Hot Buttered Rum Day

I like rum. I'm not a fan of butter.  I suppose this is a side effect of being a nutrition student  I only ever have butter around if I'm going to be baking, but I don't use it on toast or anything.  So when I read "Hot Buttered Rum Day,"  I thought to myself, "Must be butterscotch flavored rum.  No way anyone would actually drink butter."

Self, you were so wrong.

A quick search turns up an Emeril recipe at Food Network for Hot Buttered Rum.  I nearly gagged when I read the recipe.  Yet, it has such a high rating.  Maybe people really do enjoy consuming melted butter in their drinks - I just can't fathom it.  I like the idea of the spices, but not the butter.  I'd rather just have the rum, thank you.  Epicurious also has a Hot Buttered Rum recipe. It's not as highly rated as the Emeril one, but I'm not going to be drinking either one, so you'll have to let me know how the two compare.

While I'm sure it tastes good, I don't think I'd be able to get over the fact that I'm basically drinking a couple of tablespoons of melted butter with my alcohol.  The thought sends shudders down my spine and I feel my heart cringing, while my tongue tries to convince my brain that this is something I need to try.

No comments:

Post a Comment