Wednesday, January 25, 2012

January 25: Irish Coffee Day/Week

Today's food day is National Irish Coffee Day.  Turns out, the entire fourth week of January is Irish Coffee Week.  (Hey, a food day and a food week that go together!  And they're in an appropriate month - cold weather is perfect for hot drinks.)  Prior to today, if you had asked me if I had ever had Irish Coffee, I would've said yes.  I also would've been mistaken.  I looked up Irish Coffee recipes and it seems that Irish Coffee is basically a type of Hot Toddy.  It's coffee with alcohol and brown sugar with cream on top, really, but what makes it Irish?  I guess it's the alcohol - it's whiskey.  I don't keep whiskey around in my place, so I don't think I'll be making Irish Coffee today.

Drinks Mixer has a simple and easy to understand recipe for Irish Coffee, along with a video if you need more help.  Also, did you know that there's a World Coffee in Good Spirits Championships?  It's like the Olympic of Irish Coffee making.  There can only be one competitor from each country, so I assume you have to win a bunch of regional and eventually a national competition.   Of course, what I really want to know is how can I become a judge at one of these competitions?

No comments:

Post a Comment