Tuesday, January 3, 2012

January 3rd = Fruitcake Toss Day and Chocolate-Filled Cherry Day/Chocolate-Covered Cherry Day

Fruitcake Toss Day

Time for a confession!  (Already?)  I've never eaten fruitcake.  Really.  I've always been interested in trying some, since everybody claims fruitcake is terrible.  I've thought about buying fruitcake, but somehow I got the notion that fruitcake is something you give - purchasing one for yourself would break some secret societal norm.  So I've never had one.

Every year at the Holiday White Elephant party, a fruitcake (rumored to be the same one year after year) would put in an appearance.  I never did end up with it and I always wondered about this persisting rumor that people regift fruitcake the next holiday season.  As much as I would like to try fruitcake, there is no way in the world I'd eat one that was a year or more old.

So, if you have fruitcake leftover or fruitcake that you never opened, give it the old heave-ho today.  It's probably too old to be safe, so toss it out.


Chocolate-Filled Cherry Day / Chocolate-Covered Cherry Day

Some sources say that today is Chocolate-Filled Cherry Day while others say it is Chocolate-Covered Cherry Day.  I have never seen a chocolate-filled cherry and a quick bit of internet-sleuthing turned up nothing useful. It would be an interesting candy, though - maybe one day I'll have to try making it.  I'll start with maraschino cherries (as chemically-soaked as they are, I do have a soft spot and smile-inducing memories for maraschino cherries) and then I could inject some chocolate cream inside (much lik with the cream puffs).  Or...ooh!  Even better!  Start with fresh cherries, remove the pits, and place a couple of chocolate chips in the vacancy created by the pit.  Maybe even roast them slightly to melt the chocolate.  If anyone does this, please document the experiment for future generations. 

Chocolate-covered cherries, on the other hand, are pretty easy to find, especially during the holiday months of August (when Christmas marketing begins) through February (Valentine's Day).  There may even be some around during March and April (Easter).  In honor of today, I ate half a chocolate-covered cherry from a box of See's chocolates (yes, I'm the kind of person who cuts all the chocolates in half to see what's inside). 

Making chocolate-covered cherries is probably a great deal easier than making chocolate-filled cherries.  Still, I think I'll give it a shot someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment