Monday, March 5, 2012

March 5: National Absinthe Day and National Cheese Doodle Day

National Absinthe Day

Ah, absinthe...the Green Fairy.  I've only ever been around absinthe once and it was fascinating to watch the procedure of preparing the absinthe for drinking.  I didn't drink any because I was on some new prescription meds at the time and I was fine with that - I don't like anise-flavored anything.  The smell of anise permeated the room as soon as the bottle was open so I knew I wasn't going to like the drink.  But I was still fascinated with the ritual of making the drink - the absinthe spoon (which really wasn't a spoon in my opinion), the sugar cubes, the dripping of cold water (we used pipettes - yes, we're all that nerdy), stir and sip.  One guy argued that we had to burn the sugar, so when it was his turn, he carmelized the sugar before dripping the water.

According to WikiHow, there are many different rituals associated with drinking absinthe.  If you're interested in learning about or buying absinthe, the Absinthe Buyer's Guide is an excellent resource.  And if you're in the Los Angeles area, Marpop has a round up of the best bars for a drink of absinthe.


National Cheese Doodle Day

When you Google "Cheese Doodle," you get back a lot of results for "Cheez Doodle."  (That site is weird - a unicorn flies by and some sort of hooved thing and an alien spaceship hovering around while what I can only assume is a cheez doodle wears a helicopter backpack.)  I can't say I've seen them before, but I tend to avoid cheesy chips or chip-like snacks.  Cheez Doodles are touted to be made with real cheese and if you'd like to try some, you can get coupons at the Wise Snacks website.  The Today show even has a suggestion on how you can turn Cheez Doodles into a "gourmet" treat.   And Serious Eats comes to the rescue again by showing how Cheez Doodles are made.  There's even a French version of Cheez Doodles.  Some website compare Cheez Doodles to Cheetos, but they don't seem very similar to me - Cheetos are much crunchier and cheese doodles are more like cheese puffs.

So those are Cheez Doodles.  On the other hand, this recipe claims that cheese doodles are burritos drenched in shredded cheese



Also, in completely unrelated news, the Oreo turned 100 today!  I only eat the actual cookie part because it comes with the filling. It would be such a waste to just eat the filling, right?


And you wouldn't believe because of this post, but March is National Nutrition Month.  I'll have to figure out something for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment