Wednesday, March 28, 2012

March 28: National Something-on-a-Stick Day and National Black Forest Cake Day

National Something-on-a-stick Day

How many foods can be bought on a stick? At state fairs, I've seen potato chips on sticks, apples on sticks, butter on a stick...  Food on sticks are probably one of the best food inventions ever.  With food on sticks, you don't have to worry about your fingers getting dirty.  You also don't have to worry about touching your food if your hands are a little dirty (although, please, wash your hands more often if this is the reason you like your food on sticks.)  Food on sticks is the perfect food to eat on the run.  That's why you'll often see a lot of food on sticks at fairs - no need to find a place to sit, just grab your food and eat it on the way to the next attraction.

And confession time:  I do have a frequent shoppers card for the Food Court fixture known as "Hotdog on a Stick" and I have friends who have worked there, but I don't think I've bought anything from them on a stick in years.  I just stick to their lemonade.  I'm a sucker for their lemonade.




National Black Forest Cake Day

Why is the word "forest" attached to the word "cake?"  It never made any sense to me until today.  Apparently there is a region in Germany known as Schwarzwald, which translates to "Black Forest," and the cake is a specialty of the region.  (This is also where Black Forest Ham originated.)  The Schwarzwald Tourismus GmbH (I have no idea how to read German, so I'm assuming that translates to Black Forest Tourism Board) provides an authentic recipe for Schwarzwälder Kirschtorte, aka Black Forest Cake. 

I really don't see the point in looking for other recipes for Black Forest cake, because nothing beats an original.

No comments:

Post a Comment