Saturday, March 3, 2012

March 3: National Mulled Wine Day and National Cold Cuts Day

National Mulled Wine Day

Mulled wine is drink I associate with the December holidays.  One of my friends throws a Christmas party every year and serves mulled wine.  The International Drink Garden at December Nights in Balboa Park in San Diego serves a delicious glögg every year.  I've made mulled wine before, but like banana cream pie, I like to take the easist route.  I usually just buy a good California merlot, a packet of mulling spices from Cost Plus World Market, and toss it all in my crockpot.

If you want to put together your own spices for mulling, Ina Garten has a recipe over at Food Network.  Over at his YouTube channel, Alton Brown has a video on making mulled wine.  Wine Intro has a nice compilation on the history of mulled wine and a small collection of historical recipes for mulled wines, including one from 1660.


National Cold Cuts Day


Cold cuts are deli meats sliced very thinly.  Oftentimes, you'll find trays of cold cuts at parties with trays of crackers and cheese or at "build-your-own-sandwich" events.    There really isn't a whole lot to say about cold cuts, but I do think black forest ham is devine.  (I think it's all the pepper that's used.)  The History channel has three facts about cold cuts that you might not know and you can watch the full episode about cold cuts on Serious Eats.  And just a quick reminder, if you're over 50, the CDC suggests that you heat your cold cuts to 165. 

No comments:

Post a Comment