Friday, March 2, 2012

March 2: Banana Cream Pie Day

I'll admit that when I make banana cream pie, I usually take the easy route.  I buy a graham cracker crust, put a layer of fresh banana slices on the crust, top the banana slices with a thick banana pudding, smooth it out as much as possible, chill, then decorate right before serving using whipped cream and more banana slices on top.  Again, this is a food observance I feel is misplaced as I feel banana cream pies are a great dessert for a warm summer evening.

If you're feeling more game than I, you can always try this Old-Fashioned Banana Cream pie recipe from Food.com.  Feel like kicking it up a notch?  Try this recipe for Banana Cream Pie with Chocolate Gamache and Salted Caramel Sauce from Lick My Spoon.  And I don't know why I never tried this before with banana cream pie, but some recipes use crushed vanilla wafers to make the crust.  It sounds like a good flavor match to me, except instead of using the wafers for the crust, I might try layering them on top of the bananas then put the filling on top of that.  Or maybe crumble up some cookies and sprinkle the crumbs on top of the cream for an easy decoration.  New York Times even has a recipe and tips to try for making banana cream pie.

  Pie not your thing but you still love the banana and cream flavor?  Over at Annie's Eats, banana cream pie inspired some tasty looking cupcakes

No comments:

Post a Comment