Sunday, March 25, 2012

March 25: National Pecan Day, International Waffle Day, and Lobster Newberg Day

National Pecan Day

The pecan dessert I know best is pecan pie.  I cringe when I think about the ingredients of pecan pie, but I'll still reach for a piece every now and then.  Everyone I know with Southern ties has a family-specific pecan pie recipe that they just will not share.  Don't want a full size pie?  Try pecan tassies instead.

Another treat I enjoy pecans in are turtles (the candy of course, not the marine animal they're named for.)  They're delightfully simple to make and children love helping to put them together.  Plus, it's always fun to watch someone's reaction when you say, "I ate a turtle!  Would you like one?"

And the National Pecan Shellers Association has all the nutrition information you'd ever want about pecans, plus some recipes.



International Waffle Day

Today was one of the many days on my calendar that I had down as "Waffle Day."  Thankfully, Mr. Breakfast clears up the confusion about National Waffle Day- today is International Waffle Day, not National Waffle Day.  If you're in New York, Gothamist can help you find the best waffles nearby.  In Los Angeles?  The HuffPo has you covered.  Since it is International Wafle Day, you may want resources for while you're abroad - be it London, Paris,  Melbourne, or Singapore.  Waffles can be found in just about every country.


National Lobster Newberg Day

This is another food named after a person, although the story has a slightly different twist than most - the food was named not in honor of the person, but out of spite!  According to Steak Perfection, Ben Wenberg created the dish called Lobster a la Wenberg and shared the recipe with Charles Delmonico who put it on the menu at his restuarant.  It was a hit with customers, but Wenberg and Delmonico eventually had a falling out.  Delmonico removed the dish from his menu but it proved too popular to remain off the menu for long.  Under pressures from customers but not wanting to have Wenberg's name on his menu, Delmonico switched a few letters around and put the dish back on the menu under the name Lobster a la Newberg.  Just goes to show you should never anger someone who has the power to name a dish after you.

And since it's always neat to find old recipes, Michigan State University has the first known published recipe of Lobster a la Newberg online for you to see. I find it amusing that the dish is called "Lobster a la Newberg or Delmonico."  I can't help but think Delmonico got the last laugh.

And I'm not sure if it's Newberg or Newburg - I've seen it both ways.   I'm sticking with Newberg, though, since that's how it is in the original recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment