Monday, July 23, 2012

July 23: National Hot Dog Day and National Vanilla Ice Cream Day

National Hot Dog Day

Maybe eating as many hot dogs as possible in a short amount of time is your thing.  Maybe going for the most expensive hot dog available (title currently held by a hot dog stand in Sacramento at $145.49) is your thing.  Or maybe you're vegan and you prefer the vegan dogs.  However you like to consume your hot dog, there's no getting around the fact that the average American consumes about 60 hot dogs in a year.

I've always been a "catsup, mustard, onion and relish on my hot dogs" kind of girl.  Oh, chili is a great topping, too.  And I'd never say no to a dog topped with sauerkraut (and just try to keep me away from a hot dog with Romanian sauerkraut!)  Still, it never occurred to me that hot dogs, like barbecue, is a hotly disputed regional food in America.  The HuffPo has their roundup of the best regional style hot dogs - which I'm sure not everyone was happy about.

And if you've ever been curious as to what is actually in your hot dog - Scientific American has the answer.

The National Hot Dog and Sausage Council held a slogan contest this year.  Maybe I'll come up with a snazzy slogan for next year. Hrm...



National Vanilla Ice Cream Day

Okay, while I think both hot dogs and vanilla ice cream are definitely summer treats, I don't think I'd ever want to eat them together.  They do have one thing in common, though - they make great bases for epic dishes.

Vanilla ice cream is delicious in its own right, especially if you like vanilla.  For those that love vanilla ice cream, just a plain scoop is enough.  (Okay, maybe two scoops.)  For others, though, vanilla ice cream is an ingredient in such things as root beer floats or smoothies.  For others, vanilla ice cream is base for super banana splits or record-setting sundaes.  For those who like to imbibe, vanilla ice cream is used in a variety of cocktails.

So go forth and celebrate National Vanilla Ice Cream Day!  And if you do decide to mix vanilla ice cream and hot dogs together?  Well, let me know how that goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment