Tuesday, July 10, 2012

July 10: National Piña Colada

Oh, man!  I wish I had looked at my calendar earlier!  Today was a rough day for a lot of people I know.  Kicking back with a cold piña colada would've made the day seem less miserable.  Ah, well.

Piña coladas are probably familiar to anyone over the age of 21 who has been somewhere tropical.  Or at least to a tropical-themed bar or restaurant.  Traditionally made with pineapple, rum, and coconut cream blended with ice, the piña colada is usually made these days using a mixer, rum and ice.  That's fine with me, since most people won't have any use for coconut cream beyond piña coladas.

According to Pina-Colada.org, the piña colada has its origins in piracy.  I suppose this is possible, since pirates probably started figuring out how to be creative with all the rum they purpportedly drank.  There's even a piña colada song for you to relax to.

Granted, I'd much rather be enjoying a piña colada somewhere tropical with regional music (steel drums?  guitar? pipes?) playing in the background.  Maybe someday...

No comments:

Post a Comment