Friday, June 8, 2012

June 8: National Jelly-filled Doughnut Day

So the first thing I did this morning after waking up was look at the calendar.  After a "Oh, oops, I forgot to post" moment, I realized today's holiday was something I definitely wanted to honor.  I'm not a huge doughnut fan, but I do love doughnuts with filling.


So how best to celebrate today's food observance?  Well, I decided to do something I've never done before: I went to Krispy Kreme.  Prior to today, I have eaten Krispy Kreme doughnuts that people have brought into work and I have been to the little tiny Krispy Kreme in the Excalibur in Las Vegas, but this was the first time I've been to a true Krispy Kreme.  (Being a nutrition student, I don't normally seek out high-calorie, high-sugar foods.)  It was definitely an experience to see how everyone enjoyed being there.  Lots of young children were excitedly watching doughnuts being made.  (By the way, have you heard of the Krispy Kreme Challenge?  There is no way I could eat a dozen doughnuts and still run, but one of these days I'd like to at least see this event.)

I bought a dozen doughnuts of various flavors, including a few jelly-filled ones.  I'm the kind of person who cuts doughnuts and chocolates into multiple pieces (mainly because I want to try them all and I want to make sure everyone else gets to try them too) and I must admit that the ones I've tried so far are pretty good.  The jelly-filled doughnut I bought for today was filled with a delicious raspberry jelly that was slowly oozing out of the doughnut while I took pictures.  It was quite tasty.

In the United States, the term "jelly-filled doughnut" is used to describe pretty much any doughnut with a jam, jelly, or fruit filling - whether it be a Berliner or a Sufganiyot.  If you're looking to make your own jelly-filled doughnuts, pastry injectors make it so much easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment