Wednesday, June 6, 2012

June 6: National Applesauce Cake Day (and maybe a belated National Frozen Yogurt Day)

National Applesauce Cake Day

Sometimes, I wonder why some foods get observations and others don't.  Actually, since starting this project, I wonder that almost daily.  Today raised that question for me because I've always thought of applesauce cake as a pretty basic cake.  I suppose it gets a observance day because it's such an easy cake to make and very hard to mess up if you're following a recipe.

The first time I made applesauce cake was (you guessed it) for a class.  That happened to be the time I made 5 different cakes in 3 days. I froze about a third of each cake, tried to get my roommate to eat some (she could only eat so much, too) and then finally just took the cakes in to work.  I was very popular at work that week.

For the applesauce cake, we used this Better Homes and Gardens' Applesauce Spice Cake recipe.  As with all correctly made applesauce cakes, it was very moist.  While it wasn't a heavy cake, it wasn't exactly light either.  It fell somewhere in between, as most cakes do.  When it came time to write up our observations of the cakes, mine basically boiled down to: "It tastes like Christmas."

All the spices in that cake made my place smell wonderful.  And it felt like it was November or December.  That applesauce spice cake recipe would be an excellent thing to take or make for a holiday brunch or party.



Belated National Frozen Yogurt Day..... maybe?

So it seems that even thought most places note that February 6th is National Frozen Yogurt Day, some sites and news outlets are claiming that National Frozen Yogurt Day is celebrated twice a year - Feb.6 and June 4. This confusion may have stemmed from the fact that June is National Frozen Yogurt Month.  Since it seems unfair for frozen yogurt to get two days and a month, I'm gonna stick with February 6th as National Frozen Yogurt Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment