Friday, June 29, 2012

June 29: National Waffle Iron Day and National Almond Buttercrunch Day

National Waffle Iron Day

Okay, so it's not a food, but it is a food-related item, so I decided to mention it.  Waffle irons are pretty nifty.  When I travel, I try to pick a hotel that offers free breakfast and when a hotel offers free breakfast, it often has one of the really cool waffle irons that beep when it's time to flip the waffle iron.  Okay, okay... I suppose I'm just easily amused but I love the waffle irons that beep when it's time to flip it.  I've always had waffle irons that don't do that.

Waffle irons are great because you can have large or small waffles, you can put whatever you want in your waffles, and waffles made with a waffle iron are so much better than frozen waffles that you microwave or toast.

If you're not someone who has waffles every day, I recommend purchasing a waffle iron from the thrift store, yard sales or Craigslist.  Oftentimes, people will spend $30-$50 (or more) on a waffle iron, use it once or twice, and then realize they don't want it or need it.   That's when you can scoop in and get it for cheap or sometimes even for free.




National Almond Buttercrunch Day

It's National Almond Buttercrunch Day!  It also happens to be National Candy Month, so this one can be filed under "Days and Months That Match Up."

I've always purchased almond buttercrunch, but after checking out a few recipes, I think from now on I'll be making my own.  For something that seems so gourmet in stores, it's actually pretty simple.  Sugar, almonds, butter and chocolate.  Some recipes call for corn syrup.  Others use a few more ingredients but appear to resemble a very popular brand.  The almond companies are also willing to serve up a simple recipe, forming their buttercrunch in the shape of discs.

Discovery News joins in the celebration and lets us know that almond buttercrunch was very popular during WW2.





Some places are claiming that yesterday was National Ceviche Day.  It was...in Peru.  While I love ceviche, I'm focusing on food observances as celebrated in the United States.  There seems to be a movement to make June 28 Ceviche Day in the US also.  Which would be perfectly fine with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment