Wednesday, May 23, 2012

May 23: National Taffy Day

When it comes to taffy, I have one rule: I can only buy it when I'm on vacation.  I'm not exactly sure when this became a "rule" for me, but it did.  When I'm traveling, I love finding the local candy shops, especially if they make their own candy.  If a candy shop has the taffy pulling machine, I always stop to watch it for a little bit.  I  could probably watch a taffy machine for hours.  Its even more awesome when the candy makers are making taffy using a taffy hook.  (Maybe it's just me, but if I can see some food being made in a shop or factory, I always take the opportunity.)
Salt water taffy, which was invented in Atlantic City, New Jersey, is typically what I purchase.  Maybe it's the soft texture.  Maybe it's the bright colors and variety of flavor.  For some reason, I'm never disappointed in salt water taffy.  When purchased from small town or touristy towns, it always seems to come in a white cardboard box with a store sticker on it. 

Even though the Exploratorium has directions for making my own saltwater taffy, this is one think I will never make at home.  Now, if I get the chance to make taffy while traveling...

No comments:

Post a Comment