Thursday, May 10, 2012

May 10: National Shrimp Day

When I was younger, there were two types of shrimp in my world: the super-tiny freeze dried things you can find in shrimp flavored instant noodles and the large shrimp that would be served breaded and fried at a restaurant.  Now, I know better - there are many different types of shrimp.  As usual, with seafood, I do my best to consult with Seafood Watch.

What's the best way to cook shrimp?  Well, breading and frying shrimp is always popular, but I prefer to avoid deep frying things if I can.  In the South, shrimp and grits is a very popular dish.  And I always love cevicheShrimpRecipes.org has plenty of shrimp recipes for you to choose from.  Of course, if you're feeling the need for something quick, add cooked shrimp to cooked pasta, your favorite vegetable, and a little sauce or seasoning and you have a simple but tasty shrimp pasta dish.

What's Cooking America has a ton of useful information about buying and de-veining shrimp.  Or you can just buy it that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment