Wednesday, May 2, 2012

May 2: National Truffles Day

Recently, on Bones, there was an episode where the lifecycle of truffles was an important clue.  Not the lifecycle of those delicious chocolate truffles, but the underground mushroom type.  I've never had those, but apparently they're prized enough and worth enough money that Ian Purkayastha created a very successful business importing truffles into the United States when he was in high school.  Maybe one of these days I'll try the underground mushroom truffle. I mean, they're only $110 an ounce on Amazon!
In the meantime, I'll stick to the truffle that is a candy.  They're definitely a lot easier to find.  You can find chocolate truffles in just about every chocolate shop.  At the check out counter for most craft stores, you'll find the foil-wrapped Lindt truffles.  And they're surprisingly easy to make, too.  (Although, I haven't made chocolate truffles in a few years.  Maybe I ought to put that on my "to do" list for the upcoming weeks.)

Whichever way you decide to honor National Truffles Day, it's sure to be indulgent.

No comments:

Post a Comment