Monday, July 16, 2012

July 16: National Corn Fritter Day and National Fresh Spinach Day

National Corn Fritter Day

I only very recently tried corn fritters.  I'm not a huge fan of battered and fried foods, but the best friend ordered some as an appetizer and I tried half of one.  It was just... there.  Nothing spectacular, nothing super tasty.  It tasted just like corn and the batter had no real flavor.

Wise Geek mentions that there's also a version of corn fritters where egg white is used instead of batter.  This does sound a little better, so I may have to try making it someday.  Maybe what I need to do is make them spicy and add some greenery. 



National Fresh Spinach Day

There's no getting around it - spinach is good for you.  Okay, I suppose once you start loading it up with dressings and cheese, spinach loses its glamour as a super-food.  Keep away from the extras, and spinach stays awesome.  Eating Well has a collection of healthy spinach recipes to help you avoid the extras. 

Personally, I love raw spinach added to salads- spinach, strawberries, mandarin oranges, and walnuts go very well together.  Fresh spinach is also a great addition to instant noodles.  I also like wrapping a baby carrot in a spinach leaf before dipping it in a vinagrette dressing.

No comments:

Post a Comment