Thursday, March 1, 2012

March 1: National Fruit Compote Day and National Peanut Butter Lover's Day

National Fruit Compote Day

I can never quite remember what the rules are for something to be a compote.  WiseGeek comes to the rescue!  If I'm reading that site right, a compote is basically fruit cooked with spices and a sugar syrup until the fruit is soft.  About.com  has a video providing instructions on cooking a fruit compote, claiming fruit compote is perfect for topping ice cream.  Then it can be served hot or cold, with or without whipped cream topping.  I suppose this means applesauce is a fruit compote?

Taste of Home has a hot fruit compote recipe.  (I love how they put it in martini glasses - very stylish.)  Good Housekeeping also has a recipe that features winter fruits and brandy - always a winning combination.


National Peanut Butter Lover's Day

According to Punchbowl's info for National Peanut Butter Lover's Day, the average child will eat 1500 PB&J sandwiches by the time he or she graduates high school.  That's a lot of sandwiches. 

January 24th was National Peanut Butter Day so I pretty much said everything I wanted to say about peanut butter in that post.  These "Something-something Lover's Day/Month/Week" somewhat confuse me.  Take today for example.  Is this a day where we're supposed to give a gift to someone that loves peanut butter, like we do for Mother's Day?  Or are we supposed to just take this day as an excuse to revel in the fact that we like peanut butter? 

Meh, I'll leave that for someone else to figure out.

No comments:

Post a Comment